I’ve been thinking lately that Pete and I have gotten in somewhat of a rut each night during the week. We are lucky enough to have all three of our kids asleep by 7:30 PM each night so that we are able to spend time together but we both seem to stagger downstairs, exhausted after a long day and flop on the couch and watch TV.
Pete leaves for the gym on most mornings at 5:30 AM, works a full day, and then drives home an hour in traffic. The second he walks in the door at 5:04 PM it is a race to the finish line to eat dinner as a family, bathe the kids, clean the kitchen, read books, scratch backs and kiss foreheads goodnight. We tiptoe down the stairs and then exhale the moment we hit the couch.
Since there is very little “us” time I feel like it is important to find ways to make the little time we have alone…..quality time. My intention for this blog post was to research fun ideas for us to do as “date nights at home” while the kids are sleeping. That was my intention….and I am still determined to find alternatives to mindlessly watching TV together. After browsing the web for ideas….. here are a list of suggestions I found that I know Pete and I WON’T be doing for our “date night at home.”
- Have a theme night. You must dress, eat dinner, and watch a movie with the same theme. Think ‘Western’ and dress like a cowgirl, eat bar-b-que, and watch Tombstone. Think ‘French’ and put on a black and white top, make French onion soup, and watch Amelie. It could be anything!
- Wear your old bikini that you would never wear in public again, because your stretch marks glisten too brightly in the sunlight! Your husband won’t care and will love you in it.
- Write out an invitation card to your date requesting their presence at the VIP Lounge of your private nightclub.
- Make out during the DVD menu music.
- Set up a pair of chairs and stick your feet in the kiddie pool.
- Make paper airplanes.
- Learn a line dance from YouTube.
- Match socks together.
- Make a movie together—find old props around the house, then come up with a creative plot to act out.
- Coloring pictures together is a great indoor date idea—find a fun coloring book or print coloring book pages off of the internet.
- Make outfits for each other out of newspaper then have an indoor fashion show.
- Have a cotton ball fight—buy several bags of cotton balls to throw at each other (or marshmallows).
- Paint each others faces—Use water based paint or washable markers to make your date look wonderful, then go out in public to show the world your new look.
There were certainly some good ideas….and some of these may be great for other couples out there looking to add a little excitement to their lives. Who am I to judge the couple down the street who are painting cartoon characters on each others foreheads or the couple that are whipping cotton balls and marshmallows at one another all while we are watching reruns of Mad Men?
Hey, I stumbled upon a date night in itself tonight. Instead of watching TV, I read a bunch of goofy date ideas that people posted online tonight to Pete and we both got a good chuckle. And for that, I say Bravo Jamie…..Bravo!